Paving your driveway with asphalt is a great way to enhance the beauty of your front yard and as well ease the flow of traffic along the way. It is one of the most popular and cost effective choice compared to other paving options and is particularly renowned for its ability to last at least 25 to 30 years if done correctly.
An asphalt paved driveway comes with a lot of advantages, and due to its significant composition of stone and sand mixed with liquid asphalt cement. Usually, the composition of stone and sand is first heated before it is mixed with liquid asphalt cement, hence its other name “Hot Mix Asphalt Paving.”
The mixture has to be delivered to the job site while it is still hot otherwise the newly paved driveway will not cure properly. A good asphalt paved driveway is both strong and flexible and can withstand harsh weather/temperature conditions without wearing off for decades.
If you would like to have your driveway paved with asphalt, you would definitely require the services of an experienced asphalt paving contractor to carry out the project efficiently. A good asphalt paving contractor will not only deliver on high-quality asphalt that would last but would ensure that your driveway is well paved to accommodate adjoining laybys and drainages and that it also turns out beautifully and appealing to the eye when completed.
Some useful tips to take to mind that would help you decide on hiring the right asphalt paving contractor for your driveway include:
- Ensure that you do your due diligence and adequate research before hiring an asphalt paving contractor. You should contact at least three companies and get their quotes and examples of work completed, then compare each of them to get the best on workmanship and price. You can also get recommendations from friends and family that have personally dealt with the contractor before – a good reputation is very critical here and should influence your final decision.
- Make sure that the contractor you intend to hire is well established. This means that the contractor must be a registered company and must possess the proper licensing, bonding and insurance, including liability and concrete compensation plan for its workers. All of these factors would prove legally valuable, in case any eventualities come up in your business together.
- Have a pictorial depiction of your home and the blueprint of the desired driveway handy. This is will enable you to give the contractor a clear idea of what you need to be done while you shop around for the one with the best costs.
- Ask questions about things you’re unsure of and walk the site with the contractor before work begins on it. A good asphalt paving contractor will take their time to explain necessary industry terms to you to ensure that you’re fully informed and totally comfortable with the project.
- Discuss potential problems on your property with the contractor. This includes improper slopes and drainages, or a lack of underlying support for an existing drive. A properly paved driveway should have adequate solutions to problems as these and should be identified and communicated to you before the project commences.
Avoid contractors who claim to employ secret or innovative methods of asphalt paving. Usually, these ones try to cut corners and minimize resources, then they leave with a sub-par performance. Also, be cautious of those that bring leftover asphalt and want to offer it to you at a discount, you will save yourself a lot of headache and money by only hiring and using quality materials and professional contractors.