Tar & Chip Seal
Tar and chip was the original pavement used on all roads, parking lots, and driveways. Tar and chip are virtually maintenance free as there is no need for sealcoating. The lifespan of tar and chip depends on the number of layers installed. Tar and chip are just as durable and dependable as blacktop.
Tar and chip have stunning curb appeal, is strong, and offers a very clean, natural country look. We can use a variety of colored rocks such as granite, white and pink rock, slate and brown and beige river rock for a very rustic look. Because of its light-colored stone surface, tar and chip do not absorb heat like blacktop does and stays much cooler. The rough surface of tar and chip gives extraction traction even in wet weather and is an excellent choice for steep slopes. Using larger rocks or chips creates a stronger surface for heavier traffic, making this a good surface choice for your farm or commercial road.
Tar and chip surfaces offer a number of advantages including:
- A lower overall cost-this surface is slightly more expensive than gravel but less expensive than asphalt.
- Aesthetics-because of the natural stone used, this surface offers a beautiful, natural look
- Traction-this type of surface offers excellent traction for vehicles of all types
- Low-maintenance-this type of surface requires very little maintenance; no sealcoating is needed and small cracks and holes can easily repair themselves by tar heating and filling in the gaps
- Lengthy lifespan-not only does this type of surface require very little maintenance, but it can last up to 10 years before it needs to be resurfaced
If you desire a unique surface that offers longevity and traction, tar and chip may be the type for you. Call Capital Paving and Sealcoating so we can get started on your new tar and chip driveway.